WASHINGTON – US Navy aircraft carrier Gerald R. Ford completed its second shock test in water on July 16, after an attempt earlier in the month failed due to technical issues.
Ford undergoes a series of three-part tests to ensure the first-in-class transporter is properly battle-hardened. Three explosions will be set off in the water, each successively closer to the ship – and after each explosion, the crew test all of the ship’s major systems to make sure they haven’t been damaged and inspect the hull for any sign of damage.
“Ford attempted Coup 2 on July 1, but encountered technical issues with the test equipment aboard one of the support vessels which prevented execution at that time. The second shot was finally fired on July 16, ”Naval Sea Systems Command spokeswoman Kathryn Bienfang told Defense News.
The transporter “stays on track to finish [full-ship shock trials] on time, ”she added.
The ship’s spokesperson, Lt. Cmdr. Desiree Frame, previously told Defense News that the three explosions would take place in June and July and were timed around known migration patterns of marine life, among other factors.
Local media reported that the recent explosion in the water registered as a magnitude 3.9 earthquake, just like the first.